Friday, February 27, 2004

Some Have Asked

Erin Goheen this one's for you:

I saw The Passion of the Christ on Wednesday. Now, I'm not usually one for hype. I have seen only one of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, which was seen at knife point. I didn't see Star Wars, etc. And I do realize the irony of voicing myself using Redeemer's current craze. I thought it was important to support this movie, film, effort, whatever you want to call it. So I went.

I'm glad I went, and I have plans to see it again, and I will probably buy it when/if it comes out on DVD. I found it to be powerful and impactful. As vivid as my imagination is I could not have had the historical/biblical/artistical backgrounds necessary to create imagery such as this film did. I will forever have the image of chunks of flesh being ripped out of my Saviour's back. (yes i know that wasn't actually Jesus, but an actor playing Jesus - "I'm not the real Jesus, I just play Him on TV") With every whip and lash He received I kept reminding myself that it was I who was inflicting them on Him.

As impactful as the character of Christ was, it was the character of Mary (Mother of God) who moved me to tears so many times. My heart ached with her and for her as watched the agonizing death of her son.

I recommend seeing. I think you'll regret it if you don't go.

(impactful = not a word)

No comments: