Sunday, March 28, 2004

Mortality and Selfishness

I went to see my Grandparents this weekend while I was home. I see them every time I go home, but this time was a little different.

My Grandma and Grandpa are thinking of entering a retirement residence. My Grandpa will be 90 this summer, and my Grandma 85 in the fall. They'll have been married for 65 years this September. And they still live and function on their own. But things are getting harder (naturally).

My Grandpa has started talking in the line of, "Well I just have to make it till October." My cousin Katherine's wedding is in October. And when he says things like that I want to retort with, "Too bad buster, you've gotta stay alive till I get married, and heaven knows when that will be!?"

But that is selfish. He's had a good life. And his quality (and her quality) of life are fading. They aren't comfortable. And if he wants to die after October then he should be allowed to go. But I don't want him to. I want my children to meet Sterling Stewart. I want them to meet a strong Christian man that has walked with Jesus through his whole life. I want them to learn to play the harmonica from him, and the little songs that us grandchildren learned. I want my Grandma to teach my daughter how to knit and go with us to a UCW tea & bazaar.

I'm sorry Grandma and Grandpa for being selfish. Its just that I love you guys so much and I want to share that with every generation I can.

(i'm stupid crying now. way to go.)

No comments: