Friday, March 10, 2006

Not What I Had Planned.

Ok, remember that whole sting thing from the summer? Ok, so I finally got an appointment with my immunologist to try and find out what happened in August.

My appointment was for 8:15am this morning. When I got there we did the standard breathing test kind of thing. We then moved on to the traditional scratch test and I am indeed allergic to the same things I was last year. Then after asking me a bunch of questions about what happened in the summer the doctor decided that testing for allergies to the bee family would be a good idea.

So we moved into that. There were three levels to this. The first was a scratch test with the bee serums and I didn't really react to that. The second was a low dose subdermal (under the skin) and I had a bit of a reaction to a couple of the serums in that. Then we did a higher dose subdermal test. I had a strong dermatogical reaction to that. My chest also started to get tight and I started to get dizzy and well, I was having a full body reaction. Naturally the doctor was not ok with this.

He gave me a big shot of Benadryl and left me alone for a bit. When he came back I did not feel better. He was still quite concerned. So he gave me a shot of epinepherine. That made me breath better. It also made me shake head to toe. I mean even my lips where shaking. Seriously, my lips were shaking. My lips.

It was around 11:30am at this point and the doctor had to move to doing rounds at the hospital. He was not about to send me home. So he took me to the hospital with him and took me right to the head nurse (which he had called ahead of time) and she set me up sitting outside the Fast Track nurse's station to make sure I didn't continue to have a react. I had to stay there until 2pm.

Then I had to get my drugged self home. The long and short of that is that the hopistal requisitioned me a cab ride home. I came home and slept. Now I feel like I was pumped full of a lot of drugs in a short time - bleeah.

The moral of the story is that I am allergic to wasps and somewhat less allergic to honey bees, that I need to carry an epi-pen and start allergy shots so that I can spend the summer outside.

And know you know the rest the story.

No comments: