Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Commit much?

(preface - i am not talking about choir)

Lately I have been noticing a steep decline in the ability of young adults to fully commit to something. Now I don't know if maybe I'm old, or if it's because I have played lots of team sports, or I'm in my fourth of five years in the choir or what: but people and their lack of understanding of how committing works and their lack of commitment is driving me bonko.

So let me break down how committing works. If you commit to something, which is essentially saying , "Oh yes please, I will do that activity," it means that you have to do it until it is done. And that means that you can't just leave half way through, or only do part of it, or only do it when you feel like it. It means you do it and you do it well - you can quit if: one of your parents die, your house explodes, you get a tropical disease, or your arms fall off. If you are stressed out because of your own poor time management, well join the club and keep slugging it out.

Now I need to move into the Having Your Cake and Eating It Too, section of this rant. Once you are committed to something, it may mean that you are not free to do other things. Gasp, fall on floor. Let's do this in a formulaic way - If Guido is committed to doing activity A it may mean that he will not be free on Saturday night to do fun thing B with his friends. Gasp, fall on floor. Wait Laura, you mean, no, wait, no, that I may have to sacrifice my precious social life for commitments that I have made. Wow, I'm never going to commit to anything ever again... Oh wait, that's dumb.

Maybe I'm being too vague - let us try another more specific 'hypothetical' situation: If Natalia is in the mainstage she may not be free to go to the school banquet which is on the night of the last day long rehearsal before the show opens. If Natalia and her little friends thought about it for two seconds they might see that is a problem and that they committed themselves in December to the show and that doing the show may entail some sacrifice for the greater good of art. 'Hypothetical'. Cough.

No comments: