Wednesday, May 26, 2004

A Report/Reflection On My Weekend Preaching experience

So in previous post I mentioned that I would be leading the service and doing the sermon at my parents' church on Sunday. Well Sunday is now over and the preaching has happened.

I spent 18 years attending this church. Both of my parents have served as stewards and elders during this time period. My Grandparents, my Uncle Peter and my great Aunt Doris also attend the church. I know this church in side out and receive very regular updates on the happenings regardless of if I have requested them.

I also have a strong dislike for this church. I find it very dead and unwilling to grow. During my time there I tried in many ways to facilitate anything, with very limited results.

So when an oppourtunity came to speak to the people who claim they have raised me I jumped at it. Though after I wondered what I may have got my self into. How do you tell a group of people that you love dearly (though often want to strangle) that they need to be hit in the face with the 2x4 of God?

After some prayer and thought I decided on a theme of unity. I picked Eph 4 to speak on and tried to emphasize the need for them as a congregation to come together and act as one body; that they needed peace. I came from the angle that they were rooted in the historical mission of the Church and couldn't abandon that for petty bickering. I also tried to encourage them to encourage each other more, and to recognize the gifts that lay within the congregation itself.

I was afraid that I would end up at the back of the church at the end of the service shaking peoples' hands to silence and dirty looks. But I got so much positive feedback. A lot of people said they had a lot to think about, others really liked the historical aspect, and one tight-assed farmer told me he got goosebumps.

God is great! I was seriously scared about the outcome of delivering this message. I knew it had to be said, and who better than I to say it, but whoo Lordy am I ever glad it went over well. God really opened some hearts and ears.

Now lets all hope I never preach again.

No comments: