Thursday, May 20, 2004

Make or Break

Before I became a manager I never realized how much the people you are working with for a shift can make or break that shift. I mean its always awesome to work with fun people. But if those people are slow as dirt, well it brings the shift down.

At the Pita Pit things are slightly slower in the summer due to the lack of university students. So most shifts only have two people working them. A manager, and a normal staff person. This puts some pressure on the manager. They are responsible for EVERYTHING, and there is a lot for two people to do.

Ok, so where is this little rant going? There is an employee that I work with a lot, who is one of the sweetest people I know. But he is slower than anything that you can think of that is slow. And I have to babysit him. He's been working at the store for a while now, and works mostly the same shifts, so he should know the routine. But I am constantly having to urge him to do things and to pick up the pace so we can get customers out in a timely manner. Agh.

If I was regular employee girl it wouldn't matter so much, I could just work hard, try to pick up some of his slack, whatever. But when there is only the two of us, and I am responsible for the entire store and its functions, then it makes a difference. I can't just trust him to do what needs to be done. Argh.

I think I need to talk to him about it, or to one of the general managers, 'cause I may have a break down over this guy. Whatever, a month and a few weeks till India.

Love.

No comments: