Thursday, January 13, 2005

Youth Ministry: Worth more than a cup of coffee?

I remember the joy I felt when I was finally old enough to have my first "spare" in highschool. There was something mystical about that period of the day when you didn't have to sit in class. Oh, and how great was it when you had your spare at a time of day when you could take advantage of it; long lunches, arriving late, leaving early. The bliss. Of course you were expected to be doing work of a scholastic persuasion during this time period. And I'm sure that is what was happening all day long in the cafeteria.

I was not a Christian when I started highschool. It wasn't until the age of 16 that the scales started to fall from my eyes. I was also full of tact, as any teenager was. So as sweeping changes and reforms were happening in my life I made the assumption that my family should be doing the same thing. This resulted in many fights and sore heads from so much butting.

Then there was the guy from Youth for Christ. His name was Daryl and he actually runs the ministry in Northumberland. Once a week he came to my highschool around lunch and would just join various tables in the cafeteria while they ate. Most people knew who he was or that he came weekly. He was there to talk and he was there to listen.

Anytime my world was crumbling I could talk with Daryl. We'd grab a drink from the caf and go for a walk, or to the pier, or just sit. I would tell him about how unfair my parents were being about everything and he would tip the angle of my view just enough that I might see where my parents were coming from. I would cry about the things I wanted to do with my life and he would encourage me to set goals and achieve them. I could ask my new Christian questions without fear of feeling stupid.

Having someone like that around kept me sane, but it also kept me growing and wanting to know more about Christ. I ended up on both the music team and the team to Ghana with that ministry. I also worked for them for a while. And as a result of that love that was shown to me I have a strong desire to pass it along. I am now a Religion & Theology and Theatre major at a Christian university.

Tsunami relief is sorely needed and please give and give till you can give no more. There is terrible suffering happening there. But when you are balancing your budget for this new year please don't forget your local ministries. The ones that are battling the suffering in your backyard.

No comments: