Monday, June 14, 2004

The Up/Down Dichotomy

Sometimes I have to laugh at nature's joke on Hamilton - the Niagara escarpment. It is no mountain that is for sure (though I have an email in to a sciency friend to see just what the requirements are to attain mountain status).

I think I would have liked to have been around when Hamilton was starting out. Who decided to make the place on top of the hill and at the bottom of the hill the same town? And then you've got Ancaster and Dundas which are almost like little mirrors of each other (with Dundas being much more awesome). It all seems a little ridiculous.

As I was driving to church yesterday I wondered how many businesses would be redundant (and eliminated) if the escarpment flattened out. Also, since there is hoards of housing development going on top of the mountain would there be an extra 100,000 people in Hamilton? Since there is a big bump in the city, taking up space, do you think that they'll try and find a way to make more houses of the slanty variety - right on the escarpment?

Just ponderings.

No comments: