Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Chalk It Up

Here are some more pictures of the He Is Risen sidewalk chalk piece I did in Saturday's sunset.

Inspiration came from having mulled some things over in my head while out for a walk. I had thought about the (unbeeeaaaaarable) tension of the time between the crucifixion and the resurrection, but how we are all children of the resurrection, so what does that tension mean to us? To me it was reconciling the state of the sinful world we live in with the undeserving gift we receive in the resurrection of Christ at Easter. I had also found myself trying to place myself in the narratives of holy week and simply not being able to fully comprehend what that would have been like - to be around a crucifixion or to be killed so brutally for so many thankless people. So this piece for me, was an attempt to express some of my (unbeeeeaaarrrable) tension at the joy that is always there/here, the confusion and hurt that was there, and the pain and distortion that is here.

No comments: