Thursday, June 05, 2008

"Baseball Has Been Very Very Good To Me"

So I'm back into another year of Reachforth Slo-pitch. I'm playing with essentially the same team as last year. This season we're called the DP's 'cause we all mostly have a connection to one Dan Postma and we're so good that we toss the double plays around as if they were the tiniest of babies. What? I think I'm trying to say that we are good. At the very least we have a lot of fun.

If you'd like to follow us you can go here and scroll down to Team DPs. Our schedule and game by game results are there. If you go there now you'll see that we won last week.

Let me tell you a couple of things about last week's game. We won 16-7. I went 4-4 with 4 singles and scored 3 of those times. I only made one error in the field. I had a spectacular slide at 3rd. But what I really want to tell you about is Tim. Tim is/was the 3rd baseman for the other team we were playing. The other team is the church plant from my church. Tim has been a pastor, a professor and a friend. Tim slid into 2nd base (my base) and lacerated his leg on the post that holds the bag in. He cut right through to muscle and cut the muscle (cringe) and somehow also managed to sprain the ankle of the other leg. Oy! So there was a lot of blood lost and a visit from Senor Ambulance. Craziness. I'm hoping tonight's game is a little more sedate.

Oh, can I just say that I have never been more out of shape in my life. Oh. my. goodness! I'm the heaviest I've ever been and the most asthmatic. This winter/spring took so many good things from me. I spent more than half the game trying to catch my breath and the next morning I was so congesty and mucusy and gross. It felt like I had smoked a pack of cigarettes (which I have never done). But I'm sure tonight's humid game starting at 9:30pm will be much better. Grin.

Play Ball!

No comments: