Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Little Lies

I enjoy modern praise music. It is a great form of expression in my opinion. But it is during these songs that I realize that I am a liar. For instance, today during Chapel we were singing You Are Holy. At the end of the chorus we sing the phrase "You're my Prince of Peace and I will live my life for you!" And then I think, "Am I? Will I?" I'll agree that He is my Prince of Peace, but although I've made a commitment to him, can I really say that I will live my life for him, my whole entire life? Can I really say that? I can say that I'll try, but often I don't even try.

The song Today always convicts me in this way. I think maybe I would be better with it if the lyrics were a little more realistic for myself. I think that would look a little like this:

Today I choose to try and follow you, while I remember to
Right now I choose to give my 'yes' to you
Today I choose to listen to your voice for the next five minutes
Today I will consider thinking about following you, but likely won't, or won't do a good job of it


Now don't get me wrong, I see the benefit in not praising with a defeatist attitude and that kind of thing. But sometimes I'm I feel like I'm singing lies.

No comments: