Thursday, September 18, 2008

Settling In

I've spent consecutive nights in London now. With Thursday night's sleep it'll be 5! Crazy. I spent part of last week in Hamilton because of meetings, appointments and baseball, and during that little romp I realized that I hadn't slept on the same mattress for more than 2 nights in a row since the 29th of August. That little run got broke when I fell asleep on Tuesday night.

Things are settling in here in London town. I have about 80% of my stuff unpacked. The bedroom looks like I live there now. Its funny how I needed to have my books unpacked before I could really feel at home in the space. I think displaying books is to university grads as peeing on things is to male dogs. If that doesn't make sense to you, I think what I'm trying to say is that those books are a pride thing - a lot of them are great references, but I totally could do with less of them here. But it does hurt me that there is still a couple bookshelves of them lingering in Brighton until I stop moving around so much. Someday my little bookies, someday...

Right, the settling - my housemates are pretty busy people, but I still see everyone at least once a day, if not twice. I haven't had supper alone yet either. I can't tell you how nice that is. I spent the entire summer eating all of my meals alone. Its nice to have nice people around. Nice. Nice. It was also really swell to come back from a week of funeral stuff to a house that was already set up and not just an entire house of boxes.

I have been slowly learning where everything is - this is the first time I've really joined a house in progress. So everything was already going. I love having a dishwasher, like so much. Past roommates if you're reading this - having a dishwasher makes me a better person. There is a really nice patio, so I/we have eaten out there. Its been nice being around food - aka having it in the cupboards and the fridge.

Because I'm still working from home, I haven't been learning too much more of the city than what I already knew. Though that will change when I get another job at the end of my contract. And I think I have a decent lead on a job. But I'm not getting my hopes too up about that.

Just thought I'd let you know how things are going. I'm still pretty fricking sad about the loss of my Grandma and that is still hurting quite a bit. I'm slowly adjusting to life in a new city. Things are coming along.

No comments: