Friday, August 03, 2007

Moving - An Epic Tale written and not embelished by L. Elizabeth St. Ewart

Once upon a time there was me. I moved to Hamilton in the fall of 2001. Even then it took more than one car to fit the stuff I was moving into my dorm. Six years and seven moves later there was more stuff, more back pain and an elevator. Thus setting the scene for terror, heroism, humour and good times.

Once the need to move came upon me I knew that I was your typical maiden in distress - you know, most maidens are in basketball shorts and a cut off t-shirt and can belch loud enough to set off car alarms. I knew I had too much stuff to move in a series of trips to my new place and I knew if I tried to move that much stuff I should just sign myself up for back surgery for the next week. So I put out an SOS...

The moving date was set for Wednesday evening. As I madly packed I wondered if my poor little SOS call would be responded to. What was poor little I to do? Poor little I should not of spent one minute fretting - heroes were on their way!

The first of the heroes to make their way down the stairs into the bunker was the American ambassador - Gayle Doornbos. With her smile as big as her muscles she lept into action and we started toting my belongings up the stairs and into her car. After a few loads we were met in the driveway by Mrs. Brittany Groen, a van and a bonus - her new husband! She had brought added and unexpected muscles! The combined power of Gayle and the Groens was awesome and one almost had to avert their eyes as not to be blinded by the sheer amazingness. Loads continued to be brought up, larger objects were sized up, seats removed from the van - the operation was starting to take shape.

Just when it looked like things couldn't get better, fresh from the Niagara orchards, Jill Hermansen came bounding in. With the addition of Jill the things were flying out of my apartment at a rate that would have made your head spin. And the leadership of these people! My goodness! The poor maiden didn't have to say a word, things just happened (I feel this is a result of the strong character building and reasoning skills that Redeemer University College provides its students)!

Cars and van were beginning to get fullish as fellow farmer's daughter, Sarah Moerman joined the party. With one more car and Sarah's sun-bronzed arms to help load it, things were really moving. I was able to take my bed apart and bag up the contents of my closet. The last bits of packing that I had thought I would have lots of time to do needed to be hustled as the movers were more than ready to receive the goods.

All of my belongings had been brought above-ground, but alack alas, it wouldn't all fit in the vehicles. Would one car have to come back for a second trip? Would I have to abandon things, leaving them in the driveway forever? Have a bonfire? What would become of us?

The answer to all questions is Felix Lam. He showed up with his mini-SUV (and Asian muscles) just in the nick of time. Well, we jumped all over that like keg party guests on a bouncy castle and all vehicles were filled to capacity - roofs with bicycles, head room filled with bed frames, boxes, bags, scooters....!

And thus the convoy began (we had a great big convoy). We were able to stay together through attacks from pygmies, tornado, flood, and stop lights. Once we arrived at my new castle the real fun began - the elevator.

Frank, the elevator was put in service - we all felt a rush of power, having the elevator reserved only for our use. Up and down, up and down - we filled Frank to capacity each time he came down and each time he'd hike my belongings up to the 7th floor. We were like ants to and from sugar - fill the elevator, ride it up, empty it go back down and get the load that was there waiting. Rinse, lather, repeat!

In just under three hours all had been taken from the basement apartment of one house and lovingly placed on the 7th floor of the new place. I was thrilled. My heroic and now very sweaty, muscular moving friends were even more thrilled, as with the end of the moving began the start of the party. Beers, juice, water and pop were pulled out as pizza was procured.

It was a beautiful scene to eat pizza and replenish fluids on the balcony, overlooking the escarpment, watching the sun set, with people who had just loved me in a really real way. I had a balcony full of Christ.

As the evening wore on, the movers trickled out. They'll be back - for suppers, balcony sitting, gatherings and general loving.

Thank you Gayle, Brit, Dave, Jill, Sarah and Felix. I couldn't have done this without you!

No comments: