Sunday, January 28, 2007

A Pilgrim's Journey

Well I'm back from Mecca. And I'm not so raging at Satan for trying to prevent our departure. But let me let you in on that. I have wanted to go to the Calvin Worship Symposium for years. Finally this year being a part of CITB leadership it was made available to me. Two of my friends had told me leading up to the event that God was going to be speaking to me there. I was really excited to go. Then, Thursday afternoon I get a series of msn messages from Miranda telling me all about how the road to the boarder (at Sarnia) was closed and parts of the 402 were closed eastbound and westbound, and how there had been 30 accidents and all sorts of other craziness. I had to pass this on to Syd. He was under a lot of pressure to make a decision about leaving - when and if. It was decided that leaving Thursday night would be too treacherous with a big van full of people, so we opted to delay until morning to see what the weather would be like. I spoke to Syd after choir and it seemed pretty grim - that we would not be going at all. I was very upset - tears flowed as I tried to figure out why God get my hopes so high, just to have them squashed. Also most of the people going were not all that thrilled about leaving the next morning and missing workshops. So those of us who had a very strong desire to go made it known to Syd. Before it got too late he decided that if the roads were good enough we would take his car and the three of us who had impressed upon him our need to go, would go. I woke up early Friday morning, showering in faith that we would be leaving a little later - and we did! We did hit about an hour of snow covered roads and blowing conditions. But Syd's skilled driving got us there safely and in time for the 1:45 workshops.

I won't get into the details of the workshops here, you can sit down and ask me sometime if you'd like. I went to a bunch on more drama and movement oriented worship stuff and some more church health workshops too. It was sad that I missed the one I was going to do on prayer while we were travelling. I would really like to go next year and while I hope to do more drama stuff, I'd really like to focus on prayer. I will say that everything I came in contact with touched me in some way. Some things have got me thinking, others doing, others moving. So I'm taking today to chew on some of this stuff. I need to sort what can be used for CITB, what can be used for my vocational aspirations, or both, and what can used in everyday life and my life as a member of two congregations.

Good stuff. You should go.

No comments: