Thursday, December 07, 2006

The Battle For Sleep

A combination of procrastination, busyness and life events have left me in a familiar place of having lots of school work today and little school time in which to do it. Because I am both old and sick I can't do the all-nighter like the young kids can. You, the blog reader have been privy to hearing exactly how precious and needed my sleep has been this semester.

I just keep laughing at myself and the negotiations that have taken place in my head as the different parts of my brain fight for different things...

Laura's need for sleep: Ok, bed time!

Laura's fear for school: It's 8:30pm, nope.

LNS: Fair enough, we'll work.

(later)

LNS: Ok, bed time!

LFS: Nope, its only 2am and remember, there is no sleep tonight.

LNS: Whoa! I didn't get that memo. We have to sleep.

LFS: No, we have to finish this paper.

LNS: Ok, a little adrenaline and then sleep.

(later)

LNS: Ok, bed time!

LFS: Nope, its only 5am.

LNS: AAAAHHH! Sleep, now, always!

LFS: Too bad, we're not even close to finishing everything.

LNS: Uh guy, read the last sentence that was typed.

LFS: "the post modern gow will always have a task for itself"

LNS: WHAT DOES THAT MEAN! It doesn't make any sense. Bed.

LFS: Ok, maybe an hour.

LNS: Eight!

LFS: Oh heck no. Two hours.

Laura's hunger: Can we get a pizza?

LNS & LFS: NO!

LNS: Four and a half and I'm not going any lower.

LFS: Ok, and its not cause you're better, its cause we can't even see straight.

LNS: Yeah!

No comments: