Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Lessons Learned From the Pit #2

You Can't Judge A Book By Its Cover
Case Study: Melissa Cates and Heather Lockie

These girls started work at the Pit in September. When we hire a batch of newbies the managers gather together and try to guess which ones will wig out and leave in a fit of tears. My guess was Cates and Lockie.

For the first couple weeks it seemed as if these two were always scheduled together and I couldn't remember which one was which. So making a play on their well coiffed appearances I took to calling them Mary-Kate and Ashley (names that have stuck and perpetuated themselves). Part of this name calling was launched from my view that they were princesses. They came into work with their hair done nice, make-up, earrings and irresistible smiles. I honestly didn't think that they had it in them to come into the restaurant weekend after weekend for long overnight shifts where they would be dealing with droves of crass drunks and thankless service. Boy was I wrong!

These two have become a couple of our best employees and a joy to work with. They are also quite surprising in their lives outside the store. If you looked at Cates you would never know that she is indeed a HUGE geek! She has all of the episodes of the X-Files somewhere in her collection, she comes from Aylmer (she does more geeky things but they aren't coming to mind right now). (Souv) Lockie seems like she is a good natured Daddy's girl, but when you talk to her about her high school days or her recent piercing you find out she has wild side.

I love these girls, I look forward to my oppourtunities to work with them. Thank you Pita Pit for reinforcing a Biblical principal I should have already been living.

No comments: