Friday, April 16, 2004

Perceptions and Ranting

The two most common misconceptions about me are that I am a lesbian and that I am a feminist. I am most definitely not a lesbian and I would not consider myself to be much of a feminist either. I mean sure, I'm all for women being paid the same as men for doing the same job. Or for women being construction workers. But I am also very much in favour of myself getting an over-priced B.A., getting married and staying at home with my kids. I think if you're going to perceive something about me, you could accurately perceive that I am fairly liberal.

Now that we've firmly established my sexual orientation I'd like to ask some questions. Sometimes I rant to my female friends about my single status. Truthfully I am quite fine with my singleness, it allows me to do a lot of things. On the other hand, I think I would be quite fine starting another relationship. So I ask my female friends (cause they are obvious authorities on males), how is it that its been over two years since I've been asked on a date? They tell me that I am perceived as a strong, confident woman, and that guys are scared of that. Frankly I think that is poppycock. I think that I'm perceived as loud, boorish and hard to handle. Though not being someone other than myself I cannot be an authority on what others think of me.

Ok, I just had to get that off my chest.

No comments: