Monday, September 28, 2009

A Little Different Than Earworm

I have this funny little habit. Ok, I have thousands of funny little habits. But let's focus on just one for this post. The habit of focus is this - sometimes when I see something (and label it) or think about something very specific, the term or label pops into a song that fits the syllables of the term. That explanation was kind of convoluted, so let me share an example.

Sunday evening I was standing out on my porch and I saw a couple walking by. The female of the couple was wearing skinny jeans. I identified them as such. Then in my head I started singing (to the tune of Silver Bells), "skiiiny jeaaans, skuh-innny jeansss, it's Christmas time by the bay-ay." I'll share a couple of others to prove that it is indeed a quirk of mine.

One day after a particularly enraging meeting I was walking home singing Zippidy Doo Dah in my head. But the lyrics, uh, well, I'll use a rhyming word, it went like this: "duckity, duck, duck, duckity yeah...". Or last week (this one's a little different) I was getting ready to go out for Chinese with my friend Linda and my head took the tune from Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat and started going "Go, go, go Linda, you know what they say. Hang on now Linda you'll make it someday. Sha-la-la Linda, you're doing fine. You and your dreamcoat ahead of your time!"

Does anyone else do this?

No comments: