Monday, August 24, 2009

Life Lessons From The Laptop

Yesterday evening I was surfing the interwebs on my lappy. I went to look at the time and noticed the little battery icon was telling me that I had little charge left. 90% of the time when the battery drops to 15% charge it say "Hey, plug me in or I'll die!" This was one of the times within that 10% when it didn't. If I had not have looked over at the time, I would not have seen the icon and the lappy would have died right in the middle of the things I was doing.

Being one who is cursed/blessed to see every (expletive) thing as a life lesson or sermon analogy, this little idiosyncrasy of life didn't seem be any exception. Two lessons came to mind as I plugged my computer in...

The first is that we're a lot like the laptop; we can run for a good amount of time, doing all kinds of things, but if we don't plug in, we'll die. Coming from my Christian way of looking at things, I would extrapolate that into meaning that we need to plug into Christ (and really the whole rest of the Trinity). We can plug into Christ by a very wide variety of ways (just like the many outlets we find in our homes). We must plug in by prayer and through the Word. We also need to plug into Christian community.

The second thing I thought about was the warning pop-up that tells me I should plug the computer in. This actually took me in two directions. One, was that as community we need to sometimes be that warning pop-up that says plug in (via the ways above). Sometimes we don't want to be the annoying pop-up that urges action. But if we don't want people to die (spiritually, emotionally, physically, mentally, etc) then we have to do that urging to plug into what is good and what is needed to recharge and be able to continue functioning. The second was that we often want to ignore the little warning. I often push the limits of my computer's (and my personal) battery life, thinking that I can look at a few more things, or complete a few more tasks before I have to plug in. But often I end up so very close to the finish and then ending up with no battery life and a forced shut down.

I know that's a lot of thought on a laptop battery. But it was just what was going through my head. Feel free to pilfer these and use them for any uses you may have. Grin.

No comments: