Friday, October 05, 2007

Its A Musical Day

Some interesting (at least in my mind - which I do not in any way declare as a normative one) things about music in my day today...

I spent 4ish hours in the choral library today. You can now move in there, but you cannot pick up one of about 150 of Marianne Vogel's business cards.

After work the lovely Mrs. Chelsea Laarman and I attended Janet Obermeyer's contribution to the Great Romantics Festival. This was um, consummate. As a vocal student I find myself in awe of the space that Janet is able to create within her mouth - the whole hard and soft palette thing. Anyway, it was delicious. When Janet was done Chelsea and I were exiting the concert area and who did we spy in the back, but Valerie Tryon. Maybe we (and by we, I really mean me - though I'm sure you already knew that) fussed a bit over her. I said something to the effect of being from Redeemer and needing to get her to sign the program along with the other Redeemer peeps performing (Valerie and Janet teach lessons at RUC - plus Dr T was a performer in this festival too - ps, does anyone else have a problem typing festical instead of festival?). Chelsea and I left with our hearts aflutter and our brains full of vocal technique wonderment.

Now tonight I learned how to sing in Russian (I'm pretty sure its not Ukrainian, but I could be wrong). Dan and Mira's wedding is tomorrow afternoon. And in true fashion to pretty much any wedding I have been a part of, the music has had to come together at the last minute. So about a dozen of us learned a Russian song tonight. Its a nice anthem. Very pretty. While we were rehearsing I was reminded of rehearsing for Brian and Jenn's wedding which was around this time last year. For their wedding a very similar group of us was singing in Dutch. Russian, Dutch, what is it with my friends? I decided that I'm getting a choir together to sing some UEL hymn for my wedding.

And that was my musical day. Don't let it slip away.

No comments: